Friday, March 13, 2009

HURRICANE FASHOLA

I have been told several times that I am handsome. Yes. You heard me; I am handsome! As difficult as it is for you to swallow, many ladies have told me that I suffer from 'SEXYLITIS' and as such I have unwittingly earned the title; 'HIS ROYAL SEXINESS'. Aint my fault was born that way! Anyways, before you start to swoon over tales of my beauty and sexiness, I will love to let you know that I grew up practically all my life in Jakande estate, Isolo and for five years i went through Mushin frequently on my way to school, so I possess some latent uncivilized proclivities. Bottom line, I can be 'bush' if I set my mind at it. So it did not shock me last week when, on impulse, I decided to stop at Ladipo on my way to work to eat yam and beans by the railway.

After some minutes of complete oblivion, enthralled by the magnificence of the delicacy, I began to take in my environment: people assuming different positions, unabashedly smoking weed! The atmosphere was filled with its stench and for a while I thought I was going to throw up. And that’s when I started to ask myself; if this people could do this in an open environment, what else could have happened under the cover of ‘inconspicuity’? That is when I started to appreciate the work of Governor Raji Babatunde Fashola. Whoever said we get the politicians we deserve obviously did not envision BRF. In the midst of a perverse generation, convolved in an intricate knot of mediocrity, avarice and unpatriotic manifestations, BRF stands out like a sore thumb.

The events of the past few months have left Lagosians in a state of awe-inspiring shock. Although we had clamored for change in certain areas, when it came, it did so in a manner most unpredictable and speed highly unprecedented. The level of growth and development in Lagos is one we would not have expected for another ten years. Perhaps, there is hope for the future. BRF has successfully done more for the outlook of Lagos and the Spirit of Lagosians than any Governor since ALHAJI LATEEF JAKANDE. I am not particularly a supporter of any party or person and even during the elections i was endeared to the DPA candidate Jimi Agbaje, but I am strongly of the opinion that if someone does a laudable job, he should be commended immediately; not after his death!

BRF has taken a resolute step towards the strategic alignment of Lagos and his efforts seem to yield tremendous results. In one bold sweep, he cleaned up Oshodi, Mushin and other notorious places in a way that would have inspired OMO and KLIN.
This success has not been limited to the demolition, of illegal shops, shanties and homes, which swept through the metropolis like a hurricane.

1. OSHODI AFTER

2. BEFORE

...Fashola's Post Production effects.

The Beautification process of Lagos has been overwhelming. His talk about his administration combating employment, environmental issues, road construction and management has in the least been carried out with some success. The result: a people aflame with a genuine love for the state. However this level of progress has generated mixed reactions from the general populace. Some have stated that the governor's hurricane-like sanitation is nothing but a flagrant disregard for the rule of law. Others, cynical over any allusion to a great Nigeria; express fear over the developments being merely a placebo administered solely for the gratification of our frayed nerves.

I, BRIGGS, P.U., would only want to dwell in the present, in hope and in faith. May history be the judge!














No comments:

Post a Comment